Sat, Apr. 30, 2011 - [Women's Tennis]
SSAC Player of the Year Ana Veselinovic and the Lady Senators defeated Brenau on Saturday for the SSAC Tournament title.
MONTGOMERY, Ala. ---- The No. 4 Auburn University at Montgomery women's tennis team captured its fourth consecutive Southern States Athletic Conference Tournament championship on Saturday, defeating No. 7 Brenau, 5-2, at the Lagoon Tennis Center.
With the win, the Lady Senators improved to 23-5 on the season, while the Golden Tigers fell to 10-7 overall, including both matches against AUM this season.
In doubles play, the tandem of junior Ana Veselinovic and freshman Jade Curtis earned an 8-3 victory at the No. 1 spot, while junior Kveta Hajkova and sophomore Morgane Zowczak picked up an 8-4 win at the No. 2 position.
Straight-set singles victories by Curtis at the No. 2 position, Zowczak at the No. 3 spot and Hajkova at the No. 4 spot capped the tournament title for AUM.
Following the match, the SSAC announced its postseason award winners.
Veselinovic was selected the league's Player of the Year, after posting a 24-2 record in singles play and a 25-3 doubles record. Following an 18-2 record in singles matches and a 16-1 mark in doubles play, Curtis was named the Freshman of the Year, while first-year head coach Rolando Vargas earned Coach of the Year honors.
In addition, Veselinovic, Curtis and Zowczak were selected first-team all-conference selections.
1. #2 Ana Veselinovic (AUM) vs. #22 Lyn See Choo (BU), unfinished
2. #12 Jade Curtis (AUM) def. #42 Kate Mazackova (BU), 6-0, 6-1
3. #16 Morgane Zowczak (AUM) def. Hannah Thompson (BU), 6-1, 6-1
4. #28 Kveta Hajkova (AUM) def. Liubov Orlova (BU), 6-1, 6-3
5. #37 Alina Tseplukhova (AUM) vs. Eline Nagels (BU), unfinished
6. Stephanie Moniz (BU) def. No player (AUM), by default
1. Ana Veselinovic/Jade Curtis (AUM) def. #17 Lyn See Choo/Hannah Thompson (BU), 8-3
2. Kveta Hajkova/Morgane Zowczak (AUM) def. #24 Liubov Orlova/Kate Mazackova (BU), 8-4
3. Eline Nagels/Stephanie Moniz (BU) def. No player/No player (AUM), by default